The History of Easter Garth:
Easter Garth was built in 1838 by James Dempster of Greenock for the Church of Scotland and was to be the Manse of St. Modans Church, which was built to replace the Old Manse which stood previously on the site.
The house is situated within the heart of Rosneath, within the Clachan Village. Clachan Village is formed around eight traditional cottages with ruins of the old church and graveyard bordered by the Clachan Burn.
In 1881, bay windows were added, together with an extension to the rear and the addition of the bedroom on the first landing. During the early 1900’s the second floor was used to accommodate the servants – but today it accommodates our children when they visit.
When the Manse was relocated in the 1980’s the house was sold. Although over the years since the sale of the house, it has never really lost its ties and connections with the Community, as the former owners held the post of Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Since leaving the custodianship of the church, each owner has contributed to maintaining the grandeur and beauty of the house. Considered to be locally a building of historical importance, it has played a key role in both the life of the local community, the church, as well as having a royal connection. Many period features remain and we strive to protect and restore as many of these as we can, while introducing a modernisation programme, which we hope will improve the experience of your stay at Easter Garth.
The Easter Garth ‘Royal Connection’:
Easter Garth, formally Rosneath Manse, is steeped in history. Its former Minster the Very Revd Robert Herbert Story was presented to the Parish in 1860 by the Duke of Argyll .In 1886 he was appointed Chaplain to Queen Victoria and when Queen Victoria died, he read an address at her funeral – He kept his close connections with the Royal Family and continued his appointment King Edward
Princess Louise fell in love with John, Marquess of Lorne, the heir to the Duke of Argyll and in 1871 Queen Victoria consented to their marriage
Princess Louise, now the Duchess of Argyll lived on the Rosneath Peninsula and was Patron to St.Modans Church. It is known that the beautiful tiled flooring in the Hallway of Easter Garth was laid in honour of Princess Louise and that she enjoyed visiting the house and gardens. A local newspaper report of the times records her playing a game of Croquet on the Lawn.